I gave a brief talk at March’s joint WordPress DC and Hacks/Hackers DC MeetUp on leveraging WordPress to craft your personal brand. Below are slides and a recording of the livestream.
I invite you to watch, but in short, the main takeaways were
- In the olden days, people used to be scared to put personal information online; they felt the need to be pseudonymous (see handles like @SparklePrincess87); life online was distinct from life offline.
- As more of our analog lives became digital, the need for a second identity diminished; we no longer represent ourselves with anonymous screen names, but rather as ourselves.
- Social networking and mobile computing contributed to this shift by interfacing the online and offline worlds. Today’s radical transparency (e.g., lifecasters posting pictures of their lunch) shows we have come a full 180.
- We shift from corporate brand associations in the ’50s (e.g., “I work for IBM”) to personal brands today (e.g., “I’m an independent contractor”).
- Today we all have a unique opportunity to plant a flag on our corner of the internet, take control of our online identity, and declare to the world who we are by crafting a thought-out narrative.
- Unlike in the real world where you are the only one in control of what you say, online, content has a life of its own — you must be proactive.
- WordPress makes it dumb simple to tell the world your story.
My five big steps to launching your brand
- Grab a domain
- Define your personal brand
- Start a blog
- Socialize your content
- Upgrade your résumé
Recording of the livestream
Greg Linch opens by discussing WordPress and Journalism, I begin at 30 minutes 10 seconds
For those interested in the plugins mentioned
- Resume Plugin for WordPress
- Emphasis Plugin for WordPress
- All in One SEO
- Google Analytics for WordPress
- Simple Facebook Connect
- Simple Twitter Connect
- Subscribe to Comments
- Syntax Highlighter Evolved
A special thanks to everyone who was able to come out or follow along on the livestream.
Comments? I’d love to hear your thoughts below.