Senior Manager of Product Management
- Responsible for the community, safety, and privacy efforts of a software development platform with more than 30 million users and 100 million projects
- Shipped more than 500 individual staff- and user-facing features and policies in support of community management, privacy, compliance, content moderation, and open source workflows including site-wide Community Guidelines, Terms of Service acceptance, DMCA takedown and abuse reporting flows, fine-grained access controls, personal data portability, email privacy, IP ownership, domain verification, comment edit history, code of conduct detection, retired namespaces, minimized comments, time-limited blocks, and repository interaction limits.
- Oversaw a team of product managers responsible for the company’s business-to-business products
- Piloted Associate Product Management program to shape GitHub’s product culture and provide entry-level opportunities for product-minded thinkers inside the company an entry-level position with a defined promotional path to Product Manager
- Established Open Source Customer Advisory Board to bring together forward-thinking customers representing community projects, industry groups, corporate open source programs, and those typically underrepresented within the community to build a shared perspective on the future of open source software development and to facilitate an ongoing strategic conversation that drives product roadmaps.
- Served as a member of the Technology Hiring Committee to improve GitHub’s hiring practices by ensuring interview processes were rigorous, unbiased, and consistent with the best practices of the organization with the goal of hiring the best candidate for each specific role.
Open source outreach
- Lead the outreach efforts of the world’s largest software development network to encourage adoption of open source, open data, and open government philosophies across nearly 2,000 government organizations in over 75 countries, which resulted in an 8x increase in the number of government users on GitHub, a 9x increase in the number of government organizations on GitHub, and a 10x increase in the amount of revenue derived from government customers
- Named one of the top 25 most influential people in government and technology, FedScoop’s Fed50 Disruptor of the Year, and winner of the Open Source People’s Choice Award.
- Lead company-wide editorial and blogging efforts including blog post review, documentation, editorial calendar creation, and tooling.
- Architected team-wide outreach strategy, analytics pipeline, and tooling to target and quantify organization’s outreach efforts.
- Lead a bottom-up rewrite of GitHub Pages, GitHub’s documentation and static-site hosting service that hosts more than a million sites and serves more than a quarter of a million pages every minute.
- Developed and integrated GeoJSON rendering and diffing into GitHub.com and GitHub Enterprise, empowering government agencies and civic hackers to publish more than half a million geospatial data sets.
- Launched and maintained choosealicense.com, a website dedicated to demystifying open source licensing for developers.
- Developed and launched license detection API for detecting and verifying open source licenses across all GitHub-hosted projects.
Contracting and compliance
- Secured GitHub’s first government reseller, resulting in listing on GSA IT Schedule 70, the largest, most widely used acquisition vehicle in the US federal government.
- Lead efforts to make GitHub Enterprise available to customers in AWS GovCloud, GitHub’s initial availability in a federally compliant (FedRAMP) cloud-hosting environment.
- Regularly drafted, reviewed, and negotiated government contracts and terms of service.
- Created and implemented US export control (ITAR and EAR) compliance policies, secured Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) from Department of Commerce, and implemented policy for customers’ OFAC compliance.
Executive Office of the President
Presidential Innovation Fellow
- As member of inaugural class of high-profile White House initiative, served as entrepreneur in residence reimagining the role of technology in brokering the relationship between citizens and government while injecting a more startup-like culture within government.
- Described by the US Chief Technology Officer as “the baddest of the badass innovators,” and by the White House Director of Digital Strategy as “lightning in a bottle”.
- Within six months, saw four distinct open-source products from conception to production, including research, prototyping, usability, development, testing, and stakeholder outreach using then-atypical API-first architecture.
- Ensured compliance with Privacy Act, Paperwork Reduction Act, and Federal Information Security Management Act including drafting of multiple formal notices on behalf of the government for publication in the Federal Register.
Fellow, Office of the US Chief Information Officer
- Assisted with drafting, stakeholder outreach, and coordination of the release of the President’s Digital Government Strategy, a fundamental reimagination of the role of technology in the public sector
- In response to presidential mandate requiring the release of open source software, coordinated and led negotiation of contract for code-sharing services including creation of records management plans under both the Federal Records and Presidential Records Acts
- Briefed senior White House officials on legal implications and licensing consideration surrounding the creation of government-funded open-source software collaborations
- Prepared US Chief Information Officer for public appearances including speech writing and messaging
- Developed technical roadmap, prototyped, and implemented first-of-its-kind mechanism for agencies to report progress on the Digital Government Strategy
SoftWare Automation & Technology (SWAT) Team, Office of Administration
- Created enterprise business solutions to automate and streamline business processes in support of the President of the United States as part of the White House’s first-ever agile software development team.
- In close coordination with the Office of Federal Financial Management, lead development of prototypical government-wide, open-source classifieds system for sharing of federal real and other properties among executive agencies resulting in real saving of over $300 million, and projected savings of $2.5 billion.
- Regularly met with and presented to C-level executives and key stakeholders to develop and support mission-critical applications including public data collection, White House comment line, goods and services tracking, and employee on-boarding and off-boarding.
- Developed application to catalog blackberry SMS and PIN messages to aid E-Discovery team and assure compliance with Federal Records Act, Presidential Records Act, and Freedom of Information Act.
- Assisted information assurance teams with application certification and accreditation.
Federal Communications Commission
New Media Fellow, Office of the Managing Director
- Negotiated agency-wide, federal service agreements with the web’s top service providers including FISMA-compliant cloud hosting, social media, data manipulation, source code collaboration, and geospatial firms.
- Created legal and technical roadmaps to ensure compliance of new media platforms with White House Office of Management and Budget memorandums M-10–22 and M-10–23 governing federal agencies’ use of website tracking technologies and third-party services.
- Supported New Media Team’s procurement efforts, including scope of work, impact statement, and limited source justification drafting.
- Received Superior Achievement Award for customer service, quality performance, and overall contribution to the agency mission.
- Led adoption, implementation, and analysis of Google Analytics website visitor tracking statistics.
- Developed more than 30 in-house software tools including open-source website auditing and site-mapping software instrumental to evaluation of online presence spanning more than 1.2 million pages.
The George Washington University Law School
The George Washington University School of Business
Master of Business Administration — Strategic Management and Public Policy
The George Washington University
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
Bar Association of the District of Columbia
Member, license 1021576
Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET)
Level 3 (Advanced) Award in Wines
Regulatory Council of Jerez-Xérès Sherry Denomination of Origin
Certified Sherry Wine Specialist (CSWS) - Intermediate
Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI)
Open water diver